International Graduate Centre of Education
Wellbeing and Sustainability
Intimately related to wellbeing is the idea of sustainability; sustainability of individuals, institutions, communities, environments and the planet.
Wellbeing & Sustainability
This theme considers that wellbeing and sustainability are core principles of contemporary workplaces and education systems. Wellbeing has ethical and moral dimensions that are an integral part of the way in which educators negotiate the potent influences of diverse values and beliefs, and amid change and uncertainty. Related to wellbeing is the idea of sustainability – sustainability of individuals, institutions (such as schools), communities, environments and the planet.
Our Wellbeing & Sustainability research is orientated toward:
- places of connection
- places of acceptance
- places of awareness and mindfulness
- places to explore dissonance
Focus Area 1 – Teacher and student wellbeing
The focus here is on professional experience and placement including:
- School children
- Impact of school leaders/learning leaders
- University-school partnerships
- Pre-service and in-service initial teacher education professional learning and development
- Ongoing professional learning
Focus Area 2 – Pedagogy and Learning
- Play pedagogies
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) in subject/content knowledge in school and higher education settings.
Focus Area 3 – Values, ethics and sustainability in Education
- Local, national and Asia-Pacific teaching and research partnerships including State University Jakarta and Satya Wacana Christian University (Indonesia); Centre for Compassion and Altruism Research, Stanford University;
- Promoting arts-based and emancipatory research methodologies - including phenomenology, ethnography and narrative inquiry
- Global competencies and wisdom studies